Sign in to follow this  
achs_debater24

Local Camps (Kansas)

I'd like some advice on some local camps around here that are decent but aren't over $200-250 to attend, anybody know of one or somewhere i can look this stuff up by myself?

I'd like some advice on some local camps around here that are decent but aren't over $200-250 to attend, anybody know of one or somewhere i can look this stuff up by myself?

Blue Valley West hosted a week-long camp last year for somewhere around $200. If you're interested, contact me and I'll get in touch with the folks who ran it to see if it'll take place again next year.

Wichita State University has an annual camp in the last week of July that costs between 1 and 2 hundred dollars to attend. The camp is staffed by WSU debaters, local high school debate coaches, and WSU Debate Coach/1992 CEDA Champ Jeff Jarman. Having in my high school career attended both an expensive three week camp, and the WSU Debate workshop, I can say without hesitation that the WSU camp was better both in value, but also in skills obtained at the workshop. Lectures and workgroups are small in size, but put out quality evidence. Jeff and the WSU squad cut a great deal of evidence for the camp participants, such as a 1AC and a few core negative positions. The rest is up to the participants. The year that I went, which was the ocean policy year, I used the ballast water 1AC and had over an 80% win rate with it, and won countless neg rounds on Deep Ecology and Protectionism, both positions researched entirely by camp participants.

The camp offers two paths, a discussion group for debaters who wish to get a leg up on the topic and learn about the basics of advanced debate. Also a research group is offered for advanced or beginning debaters who want to just get started with cutting cards. Both groups offer outstanding topic lectures by Jeff Jarman, as well as excellent one on one interaction by camp counselors.

The location of WSU is a great location for debaters in the south central Kansas region. While dorms are not offered for the workshop, it is a just over an hour away from places like Ark City.

As for the Ark City aspect of things...does the name Matt Dykes mean anything to you? Matt attended the camp with me in 2003 and will attest to the benefits. Now that we are both members of the WSU Debate team, we will be more than willing to help out and work the camp and help the high school debaters achieve their full potential, and have a lot of fun while doing it. Also, your coach Jamie Hibbs has worked the camp in the past and can give you information regarding the specifics of the camp. The camp is low stress, and high quality. The days run from about 8 AM to 5 PM, and good times are had by all. Information about last year's camp can be found at http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=debate&p=/camp

Any additional questions can be directed either to myself, any other member of the WSU Debate Squad, or to the man himself, Jeff Jarman at jeffrey.jarman@*THE*wichita.edu (Note-Remove *THE* for e-mail purposes.) It is a bit early in the year to be outlining the specifics of the camp pertaining specifically to cost and date, but any general questions will be answered with a smile... :)

If any individual has a question regarding the Wichita State University Debate Workshop, I will do my best to answer it. Please backchannel me with specific questions.

-Zachary Brown

Wichita State University Debate