Sign in to follow this  
Lynn C. Thompson

Devolve P. ACT. to the states

I just recently hit this case. I didnt quite understand it in round, but now I get it. The case basically gave the search w/out P.Cause sections of the P.ACT. to the states. And they ended up spiking out of every position we ran. The advantages were Federalism, and some others.

How would you answer this?

Read patriot act bad.

Just get a copy of their 1AC.

Probably find a way to run T on federal.

And on decrease, as they don't really decrease authority.

Then probably an abuse argument.

I just recently hit this case. I didnt quite understand it in round, but now I get it. The case basically gave the search w/out P.Cause sections of the P.ACT. to the states. And they ended up spiking out of every position we ran. The advantages were Federalism, and some others.

How would you answer this?

who did you hit?

True.

It is actually topical, but if you run it well enough you may get a judge to vote on T.

There are probably some good arguments out there about how the war on terror would fail without strong central control.

Sounds like there may be a decent link to a terrorism DA. Since when are the states good at cooperating with each other and coordinating intel on terrorists, which is the purpose of the patriot act anyways?

The case is non-T.

Post-plan, the USFG can still detain/w/o charge/search, just not in state jails or with state resources.

If you win that authority refers to detainment, and not the area of detainment, i.e. the same reason why rendition isn't topical, then you win that the Federalism aff. = non-T

is there any possible cp against this case
CP: repeal the Patriot Act?

NBs = all of the advantages you could claim in a normal repeal patriot act 1AC. any additional patriot act bad stuff.

The case is non-T.

Post-plan, the USFG can still detain/w/o charge/search, just not in state jails or with state resources.

If you win that authority refers to detainment, and not the area of detainment, i.e. the same reason why rendition isn't topical, then you win that the Federalism aff. = non-T

Yea, that is the arg. we made but they just said that the USFG no longer can search w/p.cause because they dont have the authority to, the states do.

CP: repeal the Patriot Act?

NBs = all of the advantages you could claim in a normal repeal patriot act 1AC. any additional patriot act bad stuff.

definitely the best idea. run it in conjunction with extra-topicality, so if they try to garner offense by saying "its better to give power to the states", then you can smack them with an abuse story.

Sign in to follow this