hdmhuSMN

Area-51

How would you vote as a judge if an AFF team presented the Area-51 case?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you vote as a judge if an AFF team presented the Area-51 case?

• Frankly, anyone who can give me a reason to vote to change US policy on aliens has my vote!
    • Ok, I can roll with that...Aff!
    • Ummmm, aliens, I'm going to have to say Neg!
    • ALIENS?!?! US POLICY?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Why don't you just hand it to the Neg?!?! Crazy!

T-Authority=Legal Power to Act. Detainment of aliens without charge is not something that the USFG legally has the power to do, thus taking that ability away would not decrease the USFG's legal power to detain without a charge.

Also, would we set these aliens free? If so, are they going to be really pissed and come fuck us over with super space technology?

Goverment has the power/right to detain aliens, if they charge them that is.

and, don't argue that they are good...just argue that we are going to charge every alien with being an alien and then read 7 minutes of alien bad ev.

and, don't argue that they are good...just argue that we are going to charge every alien with being an alien and then read 7 minutes of alien bad ev.

Maybe we will charge them with being illegal aliens? And taking our jobs?

the problem with conspiracy theory affirmatives, is that people will inevitably cut conspiracy disads, or counterplans.

for example, an illuminati disad, majestic 12 disad, vast jewish conspiracy disad disad, or cards from crack authors who think aliens will invade the planet and kill us all

if you say conspiracy theories are good, that greatly decreases the threshold for quality of negative argumentation. they can read sketch links and by sketch authors. there's no way an aff can prepare for all of it.

i don't really see the benefit.

Yeah, just run an Irony CP with "The Majestic 12 will liberate all the aliens, because the Majestic 12 rock. Avoids the politics DA and gets better solvency ." The point is that conspiracy theories are poorly put together, based on little (or no) evidence, shift to meet every contingency (ie most conspiracy theorists' answer to something like "empirically denied" is "the government just made up all the stuff disproving our theory!). Basically, conspiracy theories violate the principle of falsifiability - if there is a way for it to be proven wrong, then it is valid. If, on the other hand, every contingency is just another reason why you're right (if X indicates MK-ULTRA exists, X is valid. If Y indicates MK-ULTRA does not exist, Y is a coverup), there's no way to prove conspiracy theories wrong.

The other, obvious problem is with the psychos who do crazy shit as a result of conspiracy theories. Like, I don't know, the Weathermen (crazy), Timothy McVeigh (really crazy), the John Birch Society (racist, anti-semitic, sexist, and crazy), etc.

Just beat them on their own level. The Book of Impact (http://ceda-ndt.uchicago.edu/BofIIndex.htm) Aliens file has a card saying that Aliens will eat us. It goes all in depth on how humans would look really tasty to the average alien.

Also, the UTNIF policy neg to this case has three CPs to this case (exclude the greys, covert, and consult Mars). Out of those, the "exclude the greys" and the covert CP are the better ones.

I have the UTNIF policy and kritikal negs to this case. Email (brad.gmu@gmail.com) me if you want to trade.

I can see it now...

"AND - ON SOLVENCY!

One: Aliens will eat us if we let them go!

Two: Aliens are fucking scary! Haven't you ever seen Alien vs Predator? This isn't some little scab-like thing like ET

Predator DA

1. Uniqueness - the aliens are all locked up right now.

2. Link - plan lets all the aliens go.

3. Internal link - Aliens will hunt humans for sport, which is dehumanizing, genocidal, and oppressive

4. Berube 97 and genocide is bad"

If you run the version of this aff that deals with detainment of alien technology, you avoid all these aliens bad arguments. This can be a viable aff is constructed right.

You can't detain things, only people. At least that's the definition I would run, with the specific abuse being your no links on "aliens bad'

Has anyone run a case based on the detention of plants and wildlife (minus wildlife perhaps) via national parks? I mean, I bet the argument possibly exists.

It would be untopical, but hey, that's okay.

I don't think they are detained. They just don't leave, because everything outside is so shitty. Just run zoos (as much as it sucks).

Has anyone run a case based on the detention of plants and wildlife (minus wildlife perhaps) via national parks? I mean, I bet the argument possibly exists.

It would be untopical, but hey, that's okay.

I know of some camps that put out a Zoos Aff.

I'm not even referring to a zoos aff. I know those are around, and I feel they are just as untopical as things like aliens. But I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one, just because it's something I don't have in my box.