MrTom225

Spartan Debate Insitutes 2006

I am going to try to become an RA for the summer.

This is just a list for people who are thinking about attending/ are attending.

this is because Eber is the best....along with Hardy.

and i am sorry i didnt spell 'Institute' right. my deepest apologies.

I really want to be an RA to, that would be amazing.

i might be going -- 4 week (sophomores)

anyone else thinking of going

i've been to MSU many years - not for debate though. Its fun - very green and eco-friendly. Dorms aren't too bad. food is decent. cant comment on debate - though some of those files were pretty good...

East Lansing is a great town, with tons of nice shopping and restaurants, and is easy to get around provided you aren't driving. MSU is an excellent campus, dorms and food are okay with where I stayed, though that wasn't for debate.

In general, MSU was an awesome campus. I had a ton of fun up there. There's pretty good food (in comparison), and I just flat liked the campus and the institute.

the only down side when i went was that mich was experiencing a heat wave andthe dorms and most lab rooms had no air condition but other then that it was great

and the 10:55 partys were the best

My roommate always left right then! Arrgh! :BB

2 week was fun last year, but I'm probably going to 4 week this summer.

i went to sdi last year (2 wk), and im either goin to 2 or 3 wk this year. not sure yet. is 3 wk that much more beneficial than 2?

mr tom 225-- so lisa n i met at camp last summer, and she tells me your her best friend. and that i have to meet you next summer. she's tryign to get me to go to 4 wk, but i dont think thats gonna happen :(

I may go to SDI, is there really a huge difference between 2 and 3 week and between 3 and 4 week?

From last year's topic on the SDI:

(why 4 week > 3 week)

1. better quality evidence

2. more focus on speech redoes

3. more quantity of evidence

4. better competition

5. camp takes you out places

6. debate against the PDT

7. more instructive lectures when you are seperated from the 2/3 weekers

and tons more.

has anyone been to the 5 week? how is it?

I was there this summer at the first one. It was a good time, we did a focus on case negative writing, but the lab leaders were pretty amazing at teaching you how to research and having you do some practice speeches.

Not to mention the random other fun perks, they took us to the mall and out for lunch once, plus to the movies. And the small size leads to a really intimate camp experience, we had 10 girls on our floor.

Plus, camp movie watching was fun. From getting the cheerleaders in trouble for watching Eurotrip (note the awkward moments when Tim comes in from lab and we're watching the nude beach scene) to Gonzo standing in front of the TV during the KY wrestling scene of Old School because they couldn't show us an unedited version.

SDI 5th week basically rocked proverbial socks.

I was there this summer at the first one. It was a good time, we did a focus on case negative writing, but the lab leaders were pretty amazing at teaching you how to research and having you do some practice speeches.

Not to mention the random other fun perks, they took us to the mall and out for lunch once, plus to the movies. And the small size leads to a really intimate camp experience, we had 10 girls on our floor.

Plus, camp movie watching was fun. From getting the cheerleaders in trouble for watching Eurotrip (note the awkward moments when Tim comes in from lab and we're watching the nude beach scene) to Gonzo standing in front of the TV during the KY wrestling scene of Old School because they couldn't show us an unedited version.

SDI 5th week basically rocked proverbial socks.

WHO WERE YOUR LAB LEADERS? OF THEM, WHO DID YOU THINK WAS ESPECIALLY HELPFUL? WHAT WERE SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES THEY USED TO TEACH YOU? WERE THEIR DEMO DEBATES? I'M SORRY FOR THE QUESTION ASSAULT BUT I'M SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THIS CAMP.

WHO WERE YOUR LAB LEADERS? OF THEM, WHO DID YOU THINK WAS ESPECIALLY HELPFUL? WHAT WERE SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES THEY USED TO TEACH YOU? WERE THEIR DEMO DEBATES? I'M SORRY FOR THE QUESTION ASSAULT BUT I'M SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THIS CAMP.

No problem. Well, I assume you're asking just 5th week. Lab leaders were Will Repko, Tim Mahoney and Josh Gonzales. Will and Gonzo coach for MSU, Tim's at St Marx.

Teaching. Tim was big on cut time practice debates so we could fit two in in one debate time slot. Will had us do a lot of practice neg speeches and really really help teach how to tear about a case by doing 1AC reconstructions etc.

And as for demo debates, we didn't have many at 5th week, but during the regular SDI they had some former and current MSU debaters do a demo. So yeah

No problem. Well, I assume you're asking just 5th week. Lab leaders were Will Repko, Tim Mahoney and Josh Gonzales. Will and Gonzo coach for MSU, Tim's at St Marx.

Teaching. Tim was big on cut time practice debates so we could fit two in in one debate time slot. Will had us do a lot of practice neg speeches and really really help teach how to tear about a case by doing 1AC reconstructions etc.

And as for demo debates, we didn't have many at 5th week, but during the regular SDI they had some former and current MSU debaters do a demo. So yeah

SOUNDS GOOD, ARE THEIR A LOT OF LECTURES? IF SO, HOW ARE THEY?

SOUNDS GOOD, ARE THEIR A LOT OF LECTURES? IF SO, HOW ARE THEY?

Regular SDI had some lectures which were pretty good. Once we were into the 5th week it was only 20 people and 3 lab leaders, so it was a lot more small group intensive research.