Sign in to follow this  
Dennay

Is T a time suck?

Sometimes i think that the opposing team runs somthing like T to drain my time so i can't concentrate on thier DA, CP, etc. It only takes a few moments to get the argument out there anyway.

What do you think?

if you mean an argument that says "they kicked T and thus wasted my 2AC time and they should lose"

probably not a winning argument.

its just accepted that negs will run short Ts and not go for them in the block.

If it's a good T argument, then it's justified and deserves to be in the round, and you should have to answer it. A world in which good T arguments can't be made justifies running last year's case because you liked the topic better.

If it's a bad T argument, just beat it. The worse the T, the easier it should be.

Time suck is the most illigitimate argument around

The Neg gets to choose which positions they go for in their speeches the Aff gets to choose which arguments on positions. If the neg should have only go for positions they won't kick in any speech then the 1AR should have to go for every argument on every flow. Its a matter of fairness.

As for T, the only legitimate way that I could see T as a time suck is if they ran 22 off, all T violations just trying to spread a team out of the round, that's the only time I could see arguments like T is a time suck as being legit, because other times T may be a time suck, but generally the aff can foce the neg to spend a lot of block time on turns to other positions as well as T in order to keep the time disruption fair. That's my opinion.

• Downvote 1

Experienced judges will not vote on t is time suck because they/we all hate it.

However I have gotten lays to vote on it because they just did not know better. I like to throw it in and maybe spend 15 seconds on it in the 2ar or if it goes unanswered i might spend even more and provide further warrants to vote on the rvi rather than time skew. such as: they talk about how you don't address some presses. your response: sorry your t took my time.

Depends on how confortable you are with it. Many times ill go for T all 5 in the 1NR, 2 t's in the 2NC, or sometimes 6-7 seconds extending the aff's defense

If your aff, however, your probably going to want to spend more than 30 sec, though it depends on how fast you are, how good your answers are etc.

I think arguing 2AC timeskew on T is illegit. The 1NC usually spends more time getting the T shells off than a decent 2AC has to spend grouping and answering. Once you get those good 2AC answers on the flow, you can usually tell if they'll be going for T in the 2NR by listening to the block's speech time allocation. If they do little more than shadow-extend it through the block, then spend like 15-20 seconds in the 1AR extending the 2AC answers. If they actually put some new analysis on T, you might have to answer more indepth.

How much time do you recommend spending on T? no more than 30 secs?

depends on how good the t is. if it's a bad t and your case is pretty clearly topical, 30 seconds could be plenty. If you run a squirrel case where one of the biggest problems is T, you might need as much as 2 minutes. Also, within the T flow, try to manage your time wisely - always make a we-meet and a counterinterpretation, and spend the majority of the time there and not on gimpy T not a voter arguments. In addition, if there are multiple T's, cross-apply arguments that apply to both, such as T not a voter/reasonability/competing interps bad stuff.

I think arguing 2AC timeskew on T is illegit. The 1NC usually spends more time getting the T shells off than a decent 2AC has to spend grouping and answering. Once you get those good 2AC answers on the flow, you can usually tell if they'll be going for T in the 2NR by listening to the block's speech time allocation. If they do little more than shadow-extend it through the block, then spend like 15-20 seconds in the 1AR extending the 2AC answers. If they actually put some new analysis on T, you might have to answer more indepth.

not quite-i've spent as much as 3 minutes answering one t in the 2ac (granted i was non topical)..then later 2 minutes in the 2ar...and won on the rvi

not quite-i've spent as much as 3 minutes answering one t in the 2ac (granted i was non topical)..then later 2 minutes in the 2ar...and won on the rvi
I dunno, I don't see how any good team can beat another similarly skilled team with an RVI on T. Hell, many flow judges won't vote on T RVIs anyway unless they go dropped or way undercovered, since they're such crappy arguments.

About increased time allocation on T...yeah, I suppose it depends partly on personal style and preference. But when you're aware that your case is especially vulnerable to T, you should have 2AC answers frontlined so you can get them out quickly.

Let's remember that this whole time allocation thing only matters in rounds where your opponent is decently fast/runs up a large flow. I mean, if the 1NC is T, a crappy DA, and some bad case arguments, the 2A can probably afford to spend 3 minutes or more on T.

yes, in regards to time alocation that round was in front of a community judge so me speeding teh answers would not have been good. rvi's do suck, but i still think it's good to spend 7 seconds throwing them out and hope they go undercovered.

I always go for T out of the block.. Suck up 2ar time also.
Thats a horrible idea. The 2AR wont answer T unless you go for it in the 2nr. I would definatly not just put T in the 2NR just for the hell of it. The last speech should only be of what you are going to go for and win on. If you are going to go for T in the last speech on the Negative then you should only go for T. Maybe one other position.

Also, dont make timesuck arguments. Because your wasting time making them. If you make that on one T violation. Then instead of crying about timesuck you should be answering the T.