jemmyc

Software Debate Timers

i had a problem with version 1.2 where everytime i clicked a button on the timer it triggered an "error" sound on my computer (not a popup window, just the noise that plays when you do something you're not allowed to do). any suggestions/is this fixed for the new version?

• Downvote 1

i had a problem with version 1.2 where everytime i clicked a button on the timer it triggered an "error" sound on my computer (not a popup window, just the noise that plays when you do something you're not allowed to do). any suggestions/is this fixed for the new version?
It is designed to play a system alert when you press the stopwatch buttons along the bottom of the display, which on most Palms happens to be a short beep that approximates what you would hear when you press the buttons on a real stopwatch, however, on some desktop platforms, the system alert is more typically used to indicate an error and sounds obnoxious. No error actually occurs when you press the buttons. It somehow slipped my attention when updating the sound generation for the different platforms for version 1.2. It has not changed in 1.3, but it will be fixed in the next release. Thank you for catching that.

1) Why is the whole window displayign the number every minute? can I change it so that the time never goes away?

2) Why do we have to go to the Neg Prep after the Cross-X? In the block (at least) this doesn't make sense since you'd usually go from the 2nc to the CX to the 1NR. Maybe a "Neg prep" and "aff prep" button that never disappears would be nice.

1) Speech and Debate Timekeeper was designed to relieve judges and competitors from having to manage time signals. The big number display replaces hand signals and has to be as large as possible to be visible to competitors from the judge's desk. You can dismiss the popup by clicking/tapping on it. There will be an option to turn off the visual cues in the next release.

2) The neg prep before the 1NR accommodates teams with a weak 1st speaker where the second Neg has to prep his/her partner's rebuttal. We see plenty of that where I come from. I would have preferred always on Aff/Neg prep buttons, but since the timer was optimized for handhelds with small displays, the buttons had to be large enough for stylus-free finger operation, so there was little room left for additional buttons. The strict button ordering also provides a form of idiot-proofing. Lay judges (we have plenty of those too) after so many speeches may get confused over who is Aff/Neg and start prep for the wrong side. I've had a lay judge swap sides on me once.

I am considering splitting the desktop and handheld editions into separate branches so that I can grant feature requests for the desktop platform that would not be possible or practical on handhelds.

Speech and Debate Timekeeper 1.4 has been released.

http://debate-ie-timer.sourceforge.net

This release includes the fixes mentioned in the above posts. Clicking the buttons no longer triggers system error sounds. The big number popup time signals can now be turned off. In the neg block of policy, there are buttons to go from CX directly to 1NR as well as to Neg Prep before the 1NR. There is an additional selection for college policy format with 9 min constructives, 3 min CX, 6 min rebuttals, and 10 min prep.

Has anyone had any problems with the Pocket PC or Palm versions?

You can post bug reports anonymously to the bug tracker on the SourceForge site:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=153147&atid=786579

Clicking on the Submit New link on that page opens the bug report form.

The beta of Speech and Debate Timekeeper 2.0 has been released. It runs more like a regular program on desktop OSes, so it is no longer tethered to a web browser. On Windows, you double-click on the .exe file. On Linux/Unix, you execute the shell script from a terminal. Since Mac OS X is Unix based, it should be possible to run the shell script also.

It now includes the Karl Popper debate format and cross-examination time for extemp.

There was one report that version 1.4 for Pocket PC did not work. It gave a "Can't access app classes" error. That has probably been fixed in the current beta. Pocket PC users should test it and report any further problems.

The final release of Speech and Debate Timekeeper 2.0 is available for download. This release includes the World Schools debate format.

Mac users can now double-click on Timekeeper.jar to start the program. If you are using OS X 10.4 and are experiencing display refresh problems, updating your OS to 10.4.7 will fix it. From the Apple menu, choose Software Update. I have not tested the program on OS X 10.3 and earlier. Let me know if there are any problems on these earlier versions of OS X.

The help screen bug on PDAs with tall displays has been fixed.

It now includes the World Universities Debating Championships (aka Worlds) format. For Extemp, the cross-x time now reflects the new NFL rules for final rounds.

The pitch of the timeout alarm have been changed, because there were complaints that the old alarm sounded obnoxious. Hopefully it is less so now. The time signal tones (alternative to voice) have a higher pitch so they are no longer in the middle of the range of human speech.

I also added a menu button to the upper left corner because it was not very obvious that the hidden menubar was activated by clicking on the title bar.

It should be easier to distinguish the next speech from the previous speech in the navigational buttons: the next speech is shown in bold text and the previous speech in plain text.

This may not be the best place for this, but it's probably good enough.

I'd like to see someone make an integrated timer/flow template system. A friend of mine was working on adding a timer to an excel sheet as a macro, but for some reason it would only work within certain strict parameters. I just think once that were done, it's a short step to a "debate program." Basically, the way I envision it is that you'd have a program icon that would open an excel (or open office) style system, perhaps with the math functions deleted or disconnected, it would have a flow template as the default sheet, and in the upper right corner to the right of the dropdown menus would be a timer built in. The next step would be to add a dropdown that had things like preflows to autoinsert into the flow, timer options, speech color options (for text), and other strictly debate oriented functions.

It's not an order or anything, but if someone could make this, I think it would be very useful.

• Upvote 1

hey tlf, your sigature under your name should be "noob always."

• Upvote 1

I can't get it to download!!!

Which OS are you trying to download for? After you click on the .zip file you want, the download page that reads "Downloading ..." should automatically start the download unless the security settings on your browser blocks automatic downloads. That should not be a problem (though a minor inconvenience), because you can click on the "direct link" in the message on the page, "Your download should begin shortly. If you are experiencing problems with the download please use this direct link." Let me know if this helps.

This may not be the best place for this, but it's probably good enough.

I put this under Thoughts and Ideas originally, but a mod must have moved it here for some reason.

I put this under Thoughts and Ideas originally, but a mod must have moved it here for some reason.

Oh, sorry, to clarify I meant that this thread may not be the best place for me to put a software wishlist. But, yeah, now that you mention it, I wonder why the thread was moved here. meh, whatever.

This release lets you view the prep time for both sides at any time by clicking on the Menu button then View -> Prep Times. The default prep time for LD has been updated to 4 minutes to reflect last year's changes to the NFL rules. I also included an illustrated user manual in PDF format.

Oh, sorry, to clarify I meant that this thread may not be the best place for me to put a software wishlist.

This thread is an ideal place for timer software wishlists.

for the mac, a great timer is apimac timer. does countdown, set time, noises, etc.
Where can I get that?

The link to the apimac timer is here:

http://www.apimac.com/timer/index.php

btw, I tried to download the debate timer, but it says the zip file is corrupted. What's up there?

At what point did you get an error message saying that the zip file is corrupted? Were you able to at least save the zip file onto your computer or did you have trouble unzipping it?

I'm assuming you are talking about Speech and Debate Timekeeper for the Mac. I unzipped it on a G4 with OS X 10.4 without any problems. What OS version or program are you using to unzip it? Also, do you remember the link to where you downloaded the timer?

The debate countdown timer by Paul Best isn't working for me in that I can't get the links to the websites to work. The MSU mirror site is gone now and the original site doesn't work for me.

The web site for Speech and Debate Timekeeper is http://debate-ie-timer.sourceforge.net/. The source code as well as the binaries for the latest release are available from the downloads section. It is written in Java and the source distribution includes an Ant build script and instructions on what you will need to compile the sources.

What do you want to change? Maybe I will incorporate it into the next release.

you really could make this more user friendly. it's lacking in that area in particular. that's something all good devs should know how to do themselves.

you really could make this more user friendly. it's lacking in that area in particular. that's something all good devs should know how to do themselves.

Can you suggest something more specific? I am preparing the next release.

I propose a slightly larger menu button and a View Prep Time button next to it so that you can look at the prep remaining for both sides at any time more quickly. I will also change the "Reset All" option in the Options menu to something like "Reset Round" or "Restart Round", which I think better describes the purpose of that option.

Edited by jemmyc
accuracy