Sign in to follow this  
DeinFührer

What to teach the novi?

Its come to the point that the Novi, (at least the half-way intelligent ones) Can understand T, and a basic DA. And the parts of an Affirmative Case.

What should we teach them now?

Teach them how to debate line-by-line. The best way to do this in my experience is to put a position on the board and have them collaborate on a frontline with you.

Your judges will thank you for it. ;)

wouldn't be bad to work on teaching them a generic neg strat...like running T, a disad net benefit, a counterplan, a K, and case...or keep it simpler than that...teach them about obviously debating line by line, answering every arguement, seeing a bigger picture of the round other than each individual positon...what to ask in cx---(tell them to read the other team's evidence, look for weaknesses/set up their arguements without giving away strategies)

speaking/speed drills. help them organize their files so they know and can use them effectively. teach them to be nice.

one thing that is a common downfall of novice teams is they try to go for too much, teach them to pick and choose the good answers, and like somebody else said that means teaching them to know the difference between offense and defense and what arguments can win the debate and which ones can make them lose.

Funny point on that...my coach tried to teach them a whole bunch of speaking shit like the "triangle points" or something? i wasnt in class that day.But apparently my coach talked to the hillcrest coach....but. i set the novi right. Hopefully....

The most important things that novi need to learn halfway through the year are research skills that will carry them for the remainder of the career. Its good if they know how to run T and DA's and the such, but its much more important that they learn how to not have to rely on other people to cut their updates or frontlines to new cases

im all for having them cut their own aff cases

and start cutting cards, preferably for that aff case.

and speaking, honestly rhetoric is a great skill to have, it makes running the k alot easier than if you dont have it. (also, keep them away from the hillcrest kids for running biopwr.)

They all wrote their aff cases.

Dont all schools make their novi write their own cases? Weird, i guess i always just thought that. Hmm..

i got my novice case given to me last year, and then i wrote my own case for eagle/districts. so im never sure, our coach is in the process of having our novices write them.

They all wrote their aff cases.

Dont all schools make their novi write their own cases? Weird, i guess i always just thought that. Hmm..

I used to think so too, until I ran against a few novice teams who just stood there and read from a case. After the round, one of the teams told us they had "gotten their case" (read: been handed a varsity case) just a day before the tournament or something like that.

Teach novices impacts for stock issues, because lay judges are typically debate idiots.:) Also teach them killer CX.:Flame:

Hey... im a Novice debater.... well, my seasons done. I only actually understood the parts of a DA, why you have to read standards (etc) on T, and how to answer line by line untill the middle of my season. TO ALL COACHES: the very first thing you should teach the neg is that Neg = the status quo. Teach them what the status quo is, and alt. causalitys, so that whatever the AFF says is unimportant, and they are just going to cause __(DA)__. I didnt get that for the longest time.... well, actually, i caught on quicker than the rest of my team but thats besides the point.

Line by line and analysis are the most important. Also, have them do their own research and keep on top of current events.

Why would you ever run a case you wrote. It is a good way to get your ass pounded if you are a novice, of course this dosent apply to varsity. When I was a novice my coach gave us article and said cut a case for debate. (it was Libera for UN topic) So we tried to cut a case and some of them where ok but lets face it none of them would have been good for debate rounds. I say make them all cut cases then show them the right cards and explain why those cards are important. This helps alot as far as understanding important arguments in round expesally your case. Helps them in cutting/highlighting stuff in the future. The idea that somone who has never seen maybe more then one debate in their life should be writing their own case and running at a tourment is retarded.

Also the most important thing a novice needs to know is how to flow and go line by line. If they do that they wont miss arguments teachs them to not drop arguments and is probably the most usful thing in debate you can learn.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with

1. Line-by-line. Novices just make up random crap and say it. Teach them to actually respond to arguments, and not just with "the opposite of what they said."

2. 4-point refutation. The signpost and claim is obvious, but WARRANTS are lacking or nonexistant in novice debate.

3. Research skills and familiarity with your teams' off-case.

4. How to beat a K and a CP (not really how to run one just yet)

Here is what you do with novice.

You abuse the shit out of them. You make them get updates for you. You make them do speeking drills every day. You make them write blocks for everyone.

Next year they will be ammazing. Screw novice year, create a good novice team. Research and hard work is key to winning debates.

Leadership inspires leadership.

No.

• Upvote 1

Here is what you do with novice.

You abuse the shit out of them. You make them get updates for you. You make them do speeking drills every day. You make them write blocks for everyone.

Next year they will be ammazing. Screw novice year, create a good novice team. Research and hard work is key to winning debates.

Leadership inspires leadership.

What an ass

Teach them the intricacies of their cases. Help them to understand how to defend their cases. Neg strat...Topicality, disads, counterplans, and kritiks.

Or...

You can do what I did as a novice and teach yourself everything...

whatever...