Sign in to follow this  
justtomention

Advice to anyone on these forums:

Don't take advice about debate from these forums, they are atrocious, the debaters on here probably suck, and you would probably only learn bad debate habits and get bad skills from here.

70% of debaters on these forums have never cleared at a tournament other than the "Local novice ho-down"

50% will never clear at a tourney, ever.

95% will never have a winning record at a TOC qualifying tournament.

99.9% of the people here (regardless of how good they are) will not give you meaningful advice even if they could.

Yeah, those stats are made up, who cares, don't get advice from Cross-x.com.

Find a debater you trust, someone that you KNOW, not an idiot across the country that masturbates to how good they are because they won a round at a tournament, and get them to mentor you. Ask a coach, your coach maybe? instead of some idiot on these forums.

If you have noone, there are a handful of people on these forums that are quallified, but posting on any of these public forums gets you almost unanimously crap debaters or good debaters making fun of you. Find someone and ask them privately.

Please, I'm not trying to be mean (except to the idiots that think they're the shitz and help out novices who are better than them.), but this just isn't the area to post for advice.

• Downvote 1

well...maybe if u would stop having such a field day putting down everyone on here and tried to help someone else and give these fora a better name, then you would be a little better than all of the scum on these fora that you criticize. or, maybe one day you'll have a question at the wee hours of the morning over a break and you wont have your mentor there, and you just have to come to cross-x. maybe oneof us heartless bastards will help you, like all of the novii that have just been shit on right? i kno, for one, that i have learned a lot from this site and i have helped some people.

in short, just STFU unless you know something.

• Downvote 1

I think everyone has advice to give-- especially to novices and people like me-- and there are some really good debaters on here-

Yeah most of us are potheads; but alot of us have good advice, im not saying i do all the time, but this site is a pretty good resources

granted alot of the people[including me alot] dont know jack-shit bout anything, but oh well

Yeah most of us are potheads; but alot of us have good advice, im not saying i do all the time, but this site is a pretty good resources

granted alot of the people[including me alot] dont know jack-shit bout anything, but oh well

QFA...if people would just try the site, they might learn something!

Um, all that voulgar language like "Heartless bastards" and "scum" was you not me... I'm sure you can give bad advice out of good intentions. Calm down.

Yes you can learn stuff from these forums...conceeded, and cool down... But you can also learn more bad than you can good.

Yeah it was overstated... it was exaggerated to make a point...

Not saying no one has good advice...but you can take much more bad than good from here... I think my alternative is better...

Example

http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?t=945155

trust me, if you think that's good advice... sorry I'll be nice... but seriously.

Don't take advice about debate from these forums, they are atrocious, the debaters on here probably suck, and you would probably only learn bad debate habits and get bad skills from here.

70% of debaters on these forums have never cleared at a tournament other than the "Local novice ho-down"

99.9% of the people here (regardless of how good they are) will not give you meaningful advice even if they could.

Find a debater you trust, someone that you KNOW, not an idiot across the country that masturbates to how good they are because they won a round at a tournament, and get them to mentor you. Ask a coach, your coach maybe? instead of some idiot on these forums.

If you have noone, there are a handful of people on these forums that are quallified, but posting on any of these public forums gets you almost unanimously crap debaters or good debaters making fun of you. Find someone and ask them privately.

Please, I'm not trying to be mean (except to the idiots that think they're the shitz and help out novices who are better than them.), but this just isn't the area to post for advice.

Best. Post. EVER.

I would take your advice, but statistically it is not credible.

If we shouldn't take advice from anyone on cross-x then why should we accept you adivce to not take anyone's advice?

just a thought

ok...im sorry for the harshness of my original post. :( .honestly.

but i still think that you can learn some shit from this site. i know that i have definatly learned stuff, from when i was a novice until now, and i try to give people answers to their questions most of the time (even thought i do go off on tangents sometimes.) while i agree that a lot of the people on this site, including me sometimes, are just spammers, there are some people that are genuinly willing to help. not all novices have the ability to find a mentor or to ask their coach a question while they are at home trying to write a block, which is why cross-x can be very helpful. but you do have a valid point.

touche my good friend, touche.

I agree with the message of the original post but you don't have to be such an ass when you (original poster) say it. You should look into something called tact when posting.

I agree with the message of the original post but you don't have to be such an ass when you (original poster) say it. You should look into something called tact when posting.

true.

sorry.

Look to my post in the other thread for my response to this shit.

Furthermore, those of you agreeing with him should do something about stupid posts/posters; rebuke them, show them reasons why they're wrong, and don't simply post some stupid sarcastic comment. If people are going to be giving bad advice, the best thing you can do for the novices' benefit is display warrants as to why that type of reasoning is incorrect. If you aren't going to be part of the solution, quit bitching about the problem.

Well I think there's good and bad advice being thrown around, but the bad advice is so obviously bad that it's easy to pick out what's good and what's not. It gets easier the more you know about debate.