blondbison89

Suicide Neg?

Okay, I need neg ideas for a suicide case. Case basically says, we're detaining people who have suicidal thoughts. The detainment increases number of suicides and leads to bloodier sucides. They are rescining a supreme court decision to allow detainment of those who are a threat to themselves. Any help you can give would be great

States counterplan. Suicide prevention would be a state issue, not a Federal issue. And the Supreme Court decision they reference would not require that people be held if they are a threat to themselves. It would only say that such a state statute or local regulation is not unconstitutional.

I'm not sure you'll entirely solve though for the harms of case... it'd be pretty easy to prove people that want to die will kill themself... and that plan will only make that easier.

I think Suicide good might be fun to run, maybe run a natural selection-esque argument or a Right to Die K.

Or just go with a CP and Supreme Court takeouts - Hollow Hope, Jizm, stuff like that.

runing a suicide good arg could possible be one of the funnest arg. that i could run all year besides the fear of death K

Malthus or Spark would indirectly say that suicide is good.

By the way, why is Fear of Death such a funny argument to you?

i wasn't kidding when i said you could run suicide good with biopolitics the links are there. in fact doing something like that would really throw them for a loop i doubt they're ready to argue that link story.

I don't think Spark quite links to suicide good, though Malthus might if you could make the numbers significant.

You could start here as well.

zizek literally says that suicide is good because it breaks down the subject

The current detention guidelines probably surround self-mutaliation/harm as a mental illness, at which point, the person isn't seen as being capable of withstanding any rights they have because suicide is interpreted as murder under the law.

Possible negative argument could be that suicides are often not single - suicides are often prompted by mental illness, paranoia, etc., and therefore serve as a legitimate threat to others - excusing the well being of others for the rights of an individuals untimely death is morally bankrupt cuz such mass homocides --> further isolation of mentally ill, prompting such attacks.

Also, hit them with T - seriously, we don't detain people until their charged and proven to be mentally incapable of handling themselves - they're "charged" before detainment - we just don't round up random emo and gothic kids and say to get in the padded room.

i wasn't kidding when i said you could run suicide good with biopolitics the links are there. in fact doing something like that would really throw them for a loop i doubt they're ready to argue that link story.

Biopolitics on this case really lacks a substantial internal between suicide rights and discilplinary power - D&G write substantial shizznit saying that mental hospitals are the epidemy of biopolitics cuz they --> subjecation of mentally ill.

As for preventing suicide --> badder suicides, show empirical evidence. There is none. Emo kids don't cut themselves deeper cuz they find out it's illegal.

agamben writes about 'the right to life' where if you take your life or the life of another, it destroys the bonds that the sovereign imposes on you to decide when and how you die. i haven't read the zizek evidence, but the agamben stuff is really good. read means without ends. i think the chapter in the foucault reader about biopower also has some stuff on this.