melissa_newton

Winfield November 18-19

Emporia state is sending some judges as well. They might be staying at the cook (me, not john) household if other arrangements aren't made.

So far, it looks like more college debaters will be there than actual high school debaters.

Go. to. this. tournament. Though i was consistently mediocre at this tournament, it was one of my favorites. Great judging (top notch.), lovely downtown winfield, great competition (the entire state shows up, basically), and the facilities cater to debaters' needs quite well (only one floor to be used at the high school/middle school...means no stairs and minimal tub-lugging) and it is, of course, the residence of Ed Trimmer. These are all reasons to go to the Winfield High School debate tournament.

I might have to go to this tourney, sounds like it will be a lot of fun and have some quality judges.

Replace "have to go" with "have the privledge of attending" and you might be on the right track.

But seriously, we hope to put as many high-experience, high-flow judges as we can in the Ed Trimmer's Champions division. A special thanks to all of the college debaters making the trek down to nowheresville, KS for making this feasible.

Also, I will do my best (as tournament director) to make your visit more enjoyable (judges, coaches, and debaters). Even if it comes to making lame "your mom" or knock-knock jokes...if you're into that sorta thing.

In summation: We look forward to hosting a tournament that people want to come to, learn from, and have fun at.

EDIT: Matt, dad misses you...especially after that unfortunate accident our mother had with Paul's "train".

It sounds like there may be more college debaters at this tournament than high school debaters.

Awesome.

This washed up, has been debater will attempt to be there, job and time permitting.

Backchannel me John, and get to writing those "your mom" jokes.

Prince/Hawthorne from Goddard in Varsity.

3 other Goddard teams going Open.

• Downvote 1

...and it is, of course, the residence of Ed Trimmer. These are all reasons to go to the Winfield High School debate tournament....

That's Representative Ed Trimmer, now...

That's right. Show some respect for the Rep!

I don't think I will be able to make it down this year, as I work 2-6 on Friday, and 9-2 on Saturday. If I hurried, I could judge finals, but I don't think I will.

Here's the word on the street:

We're not going to get over 20 teams in the Ed Trimmer's Champions (ETC) Division. There are several squads that still haven't specified their entries' division, though we will NOT surpass 20 in the ETC division. This is making that judging pool look extremely good.

We anticipate having about 15 (at a minimum!) college judges in all from ESU, random kids from and formerly of WSU, and K-State. Every ETC round will most likely be judged by a single college debater with rotations by the judges into our Open division to help out there. No gaurantees, but it certainly looks that way.

Also, in case you weren't expecting it, we will be giving speaker awards for both divisions.

We look forward to hosting you all.

Watch our for Rafi from Kansas State I hear he sat out on a 4-1 descision in finals at BVN. Just kidding Rafi, you normally makes legit decisions.

I want confirmation. Will there be chili dogs and pie? I trust that I will not be disappointed by the great Jason Hibbs and mediocre John Cook.

I promise.

Watch our for Rafi from Kansas State I hear he sat out on a 4-1 descision in finals at BVN. Just kidding Rafi, you normally makes legit decisions.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain