Pepsi One

Laptops

the whole thing is that most schools use macs for the system, and the schools that use laptops are normally a windows running computer which cannot link up the the apple airport thru out the schools.

the whole thing is that most schools use macs for the system, and the schools that use laptops are normally a windows running computer which cannot link up the the apple airport thru out the schools.

da

The 'dangers' of someone cutting cards during prep time is silly. The true issue of morality is instant messaging during the round.

In 2 days, I'm going to my first compition. My policy debate partner has broken his finger, and he's bringing his laptop to flow. Firstly, one should always have 2 hard copies of their 1A speech. One with notes for their reading, and another for the other team, in case they request it in a cross-x. Plus you don't have to disclose your other evidence. In our district you are not allowed to access wifi in the middle of a competion.

My 2 cents on the use of laptops is that they should be allowed in rounds, but there are certain guidelines that one must follow when using them:

1. always ok it with the judge and opposing team - if they're not fine with it for a reasonable reason then just don't use it

2. using a laptop is probably more helpful these days just because backflowing seems to be a term that "old-school" debaters use because you can just put a jump-drive in and solve the problem, but the benefits of flowing by pen are just a tradtion that should never go away - in case something goes wrong with ur laptop

3. if you read evidence - which u should try avioiding - you should always let ur opponent have access to it - a new trend that i was noticing was that judges sometimes give a "flowing" time that didn't use up anyone's prep time if cards were read off a laptop

4. and finally, if the other team cuts cards thats fine - but they have to have the articles already on the harddrives of their comps - internet access is unacceptable for obvious reasons - instant messaging

thats my 2 cents

hey does anyone know of a good flowing template I could use on an XP system.
You could if you have word make columns and just make a flow sheet and save it as a template

My 2 cents on the use of laptops is that they should be allowed in rounds, but there are certain guidelines that one must follow when using them:

1. always ok it with the judge and opposing team - if they're not fine with it for a reasonable reason then just don't use it

2. using a laptop is probably more helpful these days just because backflowing seems to be a term that "old-school" debaters use because you can just put a jump-drive in and solve the problem, but the benefits of flowing by pen are just a tradtion that should never go away - in case something goes wrong with ur laptop

3. if you read evidence - which u should try avioiding - you should always let ur opponent have access to it - a new trend that i was noticing was that judges sometimes give a "flowing" time that didn't use up anyone's prep time if cards were read off a laptop

4. and finally, if the other team cuts cards thats fine - but they have to have the articles already on the harddrives of their comps - internet access is unacceptable for obvious reasons - instant messaging

thats my 2 cents

Thankx for that excellent analysis! I think your highly right though

hey does anyone know of a good flowing template I could use on an XP system.
excel...and the search function

Additonally, most states have some sort of debate organization that sponsers local tournaments in addition to their state tournament, and several of those organizations outlaw electronics.

Well, i wouldn't flat out say that it is "unethical" to cut cards during rounds...many coaches of some of the top schools in the nation agree that it is legitimate to cut cards during your prep time....i mean, would it really hurt you THAT much if they tried to cut cards during their prep...i mean:

1) they are entitled to spend their prep time however they want

2) if they don't have evidence on whatever you're running..(maybe a new aff or a case specific neg strat)...do you really think that they can cut THAT much evidence, copy and paste it to word, underline it so that they can read it during the speech, AND fully tag it? It would seem that YOU would benefit more from them trying to "find cards" because they would probably be wasting their time.

3) what would you say to these scenarios:the other team brought stacks of newspaper, and printed articles into the round. ALSO, they have every lexis article saved onto their laptog....would you consider it unethical to search those articles they have saved onto their computer or look in their newspapers...?

it seems that you just misunderstand, it's not "unethical" rather it is a sign of poor preparation and a misuse of prep time...analytics and finding cards you already have to make them "apply" would be a better strat against something you don't have specific cards for.

qfa

cut in prep if you want to. its not my prep and if i cant provide analysis against your ev all the same, maybe i shouldnt win.

My old partner had an iBook and she always really liked it. Plus it was handy for flowing when the power went out and my battery died after 2 hours and hers lasted 6.

I use an iBook.

Works for me.

The debate timer program that is for Macs don't work on tiger os, but I just use a real timer.

the first and last time i debate with a laptop ever! during the 1NC read a k off it and couldn't figure out how to go to the next page, my parnter and i spend at least 20 seconds trying to figure it out... i vote for flow pens instead