Pepsi One

Laptops

What do you think about debating off laptops? Personally, I think it makes flowing MUCH easier if you have a good template and macro (and your partner can read it!). I also like the timer program. However, what about reading evidence? I can see the advantage, but what do you do when they ask to see your cards? Give them the whole laptop - WITH YOUR FLOWS? I doubt it, since I like to flow my answers in as I go. Any way to get around this would be nice. Also, does anyone have the general idea to use for a "you debate off your laptop so you should lose block" besidessaying,"think of every advantage as a reward for saving trees." I have searched cross-ex but mostly the discussion is about downloading new evidence in round and the numerous ways that can be used to cheat. Any nswers would be helpful, as would tips on how to maximize laptop efficiency.

(_8^(|):Rocket::schuss::ray::Flame::Yoda

I've tried reading cards off of my laptop, it's a nightmare, laptops for flows, definitions, and the most handy feature, the "search"(this allows you to go through a file that you've printed out that's also on your computer, and find exactly what you need). Use boxes for your evi though, laptops just dont work for reading evi off of. Then again, if the other team also had a laptop, and wifi, you could send them all of your cards...

-J

Also, does anyone have the general idea to use for a "you debate off your laptop so you should lose block" besidessaying,"think of every advantage as a reward for saving trees."

Oh, and I forgot to ask what the hell you were talking about... So...

What the hell are you talking about?

Isn't a laptop, like, unethical because you could basically Google anything in lieu of getting paper evidence, etc.? That's just unfair to the Aff.

Isn't a laptop, like, unethical because you could basically Google anything in lieu of getting paper evidence, etc.? That's just unfair to the Aff.
Doing that would be unethical, but as debaters we inherently subscribe to a code of conduct where we commit to following the rules. If you need to break the rules to win high school debate rounds, you have got more of a problem than the outcome of that round.

I think that teams should be allowed to use laptops. They are not really elitist, you can get a decent one off ebay for 2-300 dollars while most camps today are running 2-3000, and they help you so much more than a laptop.

As far as evidence reading from the laptop goes, the same conditions as paper evidence should apply (within reason). They are so much more practical than printing/copying tubs of evidence. Where we used to carry four tubs around, now we only need one. That said, the other team should be able to borrow my computer and the files, within reason. If during cross-x, they want to see a card, thats more than cool. However, if it is during a speech it is not reasonable to let them borrow my computer and read the cards. If this means its unfair, make that argument in round. But judges should not reject teams because of actual in-round abuse unless it is brought up by the other team.

good point - for the elitist argument WHY doesnt anyone complain camps are elitist. Simply because noone sees them.

good point - for the elitist argument WHY doesnt anyone complain camps are elitist. Simply because noone sees them.

actually people do complain that camps are elitist too. last year when kansas city central was running their racism aff i believe they made the point that certain people have the money to pay for very expensive camps while others do not.

actually people do complain that camps are elitist too. last year when kansas city central was running their racism aff i believe they made the point that certain people have the money to pay for very expensive camps while others do not.
No you are right, but KCC is not a standard team and you need a different strategy when debating them.

A laptop did save one of our teams once.

One of our novices carries a laptop with him. During a tournament, he lent out one of his neg files (Rendition I think) to another team and didn't get it back.

Next round, he hits a team running rendition...conveniently, he had that same file scanned in as a PDF.

I think he still won...don't remember.

In round: They're a pain in the ass...just carry the tubs, they build your upper-body strength.

Out of round: Great for getting Uniqueness cards from 5 minutes ago...though that might be a bit unfair.

In round: They're a pain in the ass...just carry the tubs, they build your upper-body strength.
I am sort of confused about what you are advoacting. Are you saying it should be against the rules or that you recommend not using them

Laptops are very useful and I recommend their use in rounds, but bring a hard copy of the evidence. It makes life a lot easier, and I'm glad Arizona rules mandate it.

I am sort of confused about what you are advoacting. Are you saying it should be against the rules or that you recommend not using them

As explained in the post, they may come in handy, but I personally don't use them for evidence.

Now as for flowing...I'm working on a flowing program with TK/Python...but with all of the Debate stuff I need to do...it's pretty much stalled.

(quote) Isn't a laptop, like, unethical because you could basically Google anything in lieu of getting paper evidence, etc.? That's just unfair to the Aff.

there is a little thing called wireless internet you need to use google, but overall i think we should be able to use laptops to flow with

Just require that the card be taken out, theres no problem. Or have the laptop screen facing the judge at all times, as to avoid any problems with doing something you shouldnt be

(quote) Isn't a laptop, like, unethical because you could basically Google anything in lieu of getting paper evidence, etc.? That's just unfair to the Aff.

there is a little thing called wireless internet you need to use google, but overall i think we should be able to use laptops to flow with

if you somehow have internet access in the room you're debating in, yes, its unethical to cut cards right then

i once observed a round where they used a laptop, and it froze during thier speech; they spent 5 min. of thier constructive trying to get it unfrozen. I laughed, but it scared me away from using a laptop in debate. i would prefer using old fashion pen and paper.

i once observed a round where they used a laptop, and it froze during thier speech; they spent 5 min. of thier constructive trying to get it unfrozen. I laughed, but it scared me away from using a laptop in debate. i would prefer using old fashion pen and paper.

a danger to using a laptop is malfunction

it's really frustrating when teams read evidence off laptops and the other team needs the evidence. technically, you HAVE to give the laptop to the other team if you can't be bothered to print off hard copies. i know plenty of teams who flow on laptops but read hard copies of evidence. just use your laptops for flowing and typing out rebuttals.

some teams hook up their laptops to printers and print out evidence DURING the round. this is very frustrating to the other team, because many schools have wireless internet, so the other team could be cutting cards IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROUND. be careful about that kind of thing. and watch out for teams who will say you're elitist because you use a laptop.

i usually carry a jump drive with me - its handy for jumping backflows to my partner and cards read from computer to your opponents (who would have to be using a computer)

Flash drives might work...But how many novices use computers...

I know last year they were pretty common even in novice. It was pointed out this summer at SDI that the post-novice lab had the highest laptop:student ratio. Which seems to indicate that the younger debaters are making the switch.

And flash drives work pretty well, assuming you don't mind the way your partner flows. If done right the 2A can have a flow of the 2AC by about 15 seconds into cross-x, thus allowing better question answering and increased efficiency.

someone said something about having a debate timer? i know there was one but i downloaded it and it didn't work on my computer... i flow on a laptop so if anyone has a working copy of it i'd love it... :)

hahahahaahahahaha, you're right ppl never say camps are elitist. (that was heavy with sarcasm if you didn't catch it)