mandananda

material witness

My partner and i are wanting to run a material witness case but we dont really have any aff or neg evidence for it. Please give me some ideas that i could use for advantages and some neg that can be run against it. Thanx

• Downvote 1

i've never heard of the mafia da. ill have to check that out, thanx. our inherency is that the government is abusing the material witness statue and trying to hide it, right now we only have two advantages, rights and soft power. oh and we have pretty good solvency, but it only comes from one source. please help

thanx.

My friend has a dehumanization advantage in his. Supposedly, detaining material witnesses is torture.

B. Material witnesses can be detained indefinitely and are subject to torture.

Weinstein, 2005 [Henry Weinstein, Staff Writer, Los Angeles Times, “Is This How You Treat One of Your Own?”, p l/n, july 24 2005]

The soldiers began making references to the prison torture scandal at Abu Ghraib. "We used to strip you guys and line you up like pyramids," he recalled one soldier saying.

<continued>

Military patrolmen began yelling at him: "You're here to kill Americans? You're a . . . terrorist!" When he shouted back, he was told to "shut . . . up!"

When he apparently didn't follow orders fast enough, he said, a soldier smashed his face into a cinder block wall. "At this point, we're almost catatonic," he said.

"I broke down. I was just trying to survive to get to wherever I was going," he said.<continued>

Four days later, a guard told him the FBI had arrived.

A Question on Voting

Kar was taken to be interviewed by two FBI officers, whom he identified as "Donna Peterson" and a man named "Robert."

"They put out a page of rights on a desk -- a right to an attorney, a right not to talk to them," Kar said.

"I said, 'Do you have an attorney here?' "

"No."

Kar said he asked what would happen if he exercised his right to remain silent.

The last person who had done that, an agent said, was "still locked up in Afghanistan two years later."

B. Material witnesses can be detained indefinitely and are subject to torture. Weinstein, 2005

That card has nothing to do with material witnesses. It's about people being detained in Abu Graib.