jnousky

Animal liberties as a possible aff?

I hit this case. Kelsey Duska and Alex Risineger of Westlake in Texas ran it against us. We won on ASPEC I think. A decent frontline would consist of.....

-We experiment on humans aswell and cut them open (univ. hospitals).

-Animals born into captivity do not want Civil Libs.

-Even if we kill animals now, more will die when released.

-We learn about animals.

-Animals are key in the fight against disease.

-"We the people" does not include animals

There were more but im tired.

2AC answer = CA speciesism advantage, args function as a link independant reason to reject the Neg.

Case and point: answer speciesism.

-We experiment on humans aswell and cut them open (univ. hospitals).

A. not while they're living

B. not as much as we do to animals (we kill at least 100 million a year)

C. two wrongs don't make a right

-Animals born into captivity do not want Civil Libs.

A. When asked, Chimps and other great apes who know sign language have actually told their captors that they don't want to be in cages

B. Animals can suffer, they don't want to. They may not care about civil liberities but they care if they are getting evisorated for military research

-Even if we kill animals now, more will die when released.

A. that is litterally impossible, we kill ALOT of animals (above)

B. there are groups who are willing to establish sanctuaries or help transport animals back to their natural habitate

C. free death is better than being tortured to death

-We learn about animals.

A. so?

B. we learn about animals better when we study them in their natural habitate

-Animals are key in the fight against disease.

A. history calls your bluff - I'm less sure about other animals, but i know that chimps are terrible for vacines. They spread mutations and diseases that turn out worse than what the original cure was for. Ebola, Aids, SV40 (was put in the original polio vacine and killed a couple hundred people through cancer).

-"We the people" does not include animals

A. does not implicate the case in anyway

Respect

Abers

of course, all of this is meaningless in the face of the crunch. Just FYI.

of course, all of this is meaningless in the face of the crunch. Just FYI.

WTF mate? is that from the rights malthus file....explain the "crunch" to me.

The United States Supreme Court should rule to decrease federal authority to detain Pan troglodytes without charge.

Pan troglodytes = chimps

Interesting. By what authority would the U.S. Supreme Court do that? Interpretation of a Federal statute? Granting them Constitutional rights?

biggest problem with the zoo aff.

however i just thought of a twist on this idea.

If you change plan text to "the USFG will release all animals it detains.."

does this include our prison population & all the terrorists...

:P

?

does this include our prison population & all the terrorists...

:P

?

No. But it would probably prevent the federal government from detaining you...

":P"

License and Registration Please.

what has been the reaction to your aff? do people make fun of you? do they joke about it and not take it seriously? do they say offensive, demeaning things to you? we've ran into all of the above, and i was just wondering how other people have reacted...

no, not like that. people laugh and are like "oooh. i'm going to go 8 minutes of anthro on you. screw animals. i like to hear them scream. i'll torture one. oooh, why are you eating that carrot? doesn't it feel pain?" gah. so demeaning. so disrespectful. grrr. /rant

• Downvote 1

No, cause we win when people go for 8 minutes of anthro. At some point around GDS and New Trier our aff became generally accepted.

• Downvote 1

1. Human does not come from the word MAN, its rather it's a latin word. No male or female form.

human

c.1250, from M.Fr. humain "of or belonging to man," from L. humanus, probably related to homo (gen. hominis) "man," and to humus "earth," on notion of "earthly beings," as opposed to the gods (cf. Heb. adam "man," from adamah "ground"). Cognate with O.Lith. zmuo (acc. zmuni) "man, male person." Displaced its O.E. cognate guma (from P.Gmc. *guman-) which survives only in disguise in bridegroom. First record of humankind is from 1645. Humanoid (1918) is a hybrid of L. humanus and Gk. -oeides "like," from eidos "form, shape"

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=human

while it doesn't directly translate to coming from the word "man" exclusively, i think your dismissal was unfair. i dont really want to argue the issue (gendered language) just trying to keep misperceptions down.

Best answer to gendered language.

If you find the word "feminism" in THEIR cards...

c.1384, "of the female sex," from O.Fr. feminin, from L. femininus "feminine" (in the grammatical sense at first), from femina "woman, female," lit. "she who suckles," from base of felare "to suck, suckle" (see fecund). Sense of "woman-like, proper to or characteristic of women" is recorded from c.1440. Feminism is from 1851, but meant at first "state of being feminine;" sense of "advocacy of women's rights" is 1895. Feminist is 1894, from Fr. féministe (1872).

From the etymological roots that give them the "feminism" they use in their cards, we also received...

-breast-feeding (felare=suckle)

-blowjobs (felare=suck=>felatio)

-woman=wife (feminin => french "Femme" which means both woman and wife)

therefore- just as human rights reinscribe some sort of male dominance, so too does feminism reinscribe women as blowjob-giving, breast-feeding wives.

which is more gendered language? Human or feminist?

thats really interesting. a good reason to call the K "gender".

• Downvote 1

what has been the reaction to your aff? ...

having utterly not heard of it when we hit it, I was like wtf? But I think they manage to win enough rounds people have respect for at least the team and by extension the aff.

• Downvote 1

remember,

jamie does have a point -

To my knowledge, we're the only team running this aff. we have 5 bids. therefore, if you run our aff, you too can have 5 bids.

abers

One of the key things to this case that people don't seem to get is that we don't give them rights, we just recognize the rights that they have, This doesn't mean rights in a concrete, court-room way, but in an abstract way. Also, you can be border-line speciest yourself when you run this by emphasizing that animalslavery results in negitive harms to humans, thus by attacking the root you kill the monster.