debatedick15

I need some help with IARs

Also it is Important to have good word economy. A 1AR who is really slow but really efficient is a better 1ar than one who is really fast but says the same thing over and over. Once you said it move on. If theres one thing that seperates a good 1ar from a bad 1ar its being efficient

so so so so so so so true.this has been and still is my problem with my 1ar's. also, we are the only versity team at our school and have no one to debate, so tourneys are my only practice. i guess, rebuttal re-do's and pracitce roundsare always the best possible thing you can do to get better at your 1ar's.

we debated you in semis of reagan. you were neg and went for biopower.

and i stole your T flow and you were asking for it back like you would need it but i was like *in head*"haha we're going for the k...he he he"

well...we needed it for the 1ar still...and we keep all of our flows anyway.

but again. for 1ar's, you should just be as concise as possible. set up the 2ar by making good arguments that the 2ar can blow up. group and extend, or group and cross-apply-this saves a lot of time. and only read short or really highlighted down cards if you need to because you dont need to make all the analysis because thats the 2a's job. just make the arg,extend a card, cross-apply a card, and go on. you should also work on making or help making 2ac blocks so you know the cards well and you know what to extend and what it says. ever since ive started making 2ac blocks, ive been able to do my 1ar's better because i know the cards better and i know the intricacies of the arguements from the block.

just more ideas. :)

I always try to cover everything or as much as possible (if you've been spread though you may be out of luck.) this means sometimes you might have to speak faster than normal and but still clear.(practice talking w/ pen in mouth or some such thing to improve clearity(sp)). Also refer to case to refute most arguments, try and refer to case as much as possible, at least this is what i do for my 1AR.

I always try to cover everything or as much as possible (if you've been spread though you may be out of luck.) this means sometimes you might have to speak faster than normal and but still clear.(practice talking w/ pen in mouth or some such thing to improve clearity(sp)). Also refer to case to refute most arguments, try and refer to case as much as possible, at least this is what i do for my 1AR.

this is good advice. i think that people should do clarity drills, even if they arent the 1ar. you should take your flows home after tourneys and re-do your 1ar's so you can get better and realize what you've done wrong and fix it.

I SO miss the 1AR.

The best strategy that I used during the 1AR was as follows. You'd be surprised at how many arguments you know you are going to face prior to the round. Frontlines are your friend, write as many as you can. Even before the round you know which 2AC F/L answers are the strongest, and can that you can defeat an issue with the best 5 (as opposed to all 15) for example on a CP you save the perms, the turn on the NB, an impx o/w and maybe a theory argument with abuse impx. Any one of those five will win the round, and you didn't have to mess around flowing answers to the other 10, because your partner is going to be the careful listener taking care to make sure there isn't a turn or ev indictment that could kill you later.

Your job in the block is the spend as much of the 13 minutes as possible prepping, in order to maximize that do the following: only flow the answers they put on your best answers in the highly careful line by line fashion. Write your responses to those, and make SURE you line by line anything they say on them. You're partner takes a more careful flow, and listens for/notes the turns. You use CX to write answers to the turns.

I know some people are reluctant to do it this way because dropping arguments is a scary thing to do, but let's face it, of the 3 point they did on each of your arguments, they probably repeated themselves A LOT. In the 1AR you get to control the time management issue and use 10 seconds to each of their 30 because you are going for the ones you need. The rest, group loosely, extend, even if you didn't answer anything, and then let your partner explain the rest. It's better to have 5 answers that are rock solid than 15 that are weak.

It's better to have 5 answers that are rock solid than 15 that are weak.

couldnt have said it better myself.

True dat. 5 good Answers are way better than 15 okay ones. Word economy, and going fast is key, as well as sticking preempts to args. in the 2AC so you can extend and cross-apply them.

As the teams you debate against get faster and more efficient in the neg block, as a 1AR you may find yourself in a bad position. Sometimes, no matter how fast you are, there is no way to cover everything. In that case, go for your best answers. You can concede strategic arguments to answer back other args.

And - I don't know if this is a good idea to do until you're more comfortable with debate, in front of the right judges, and pretty desperate, but you can do things like kicking case and going for your DA link turns. For example, if the neg team ran an intl. actor CP with a politics da and then case args and T, and they went really heavy on case in the 2NC, you can kick case (if they have no/very little actual offense on it) and go for your link turns and answer T in the 1AR. Thus, you turn back the net benefit of the CP and the advantage to your plan is politics, and the neg is forced to go for what you're winning on.

If you think strategically in the 1AR, the debate is on your grounds - you don't have to go for the more difficult stuff to pull off, just think. You force the negative to go for what YOU're winning on, which rocks. Sorry if someone else posted something similar, I was too lazy to read everything.

Something that's really good for the 1AR is to know what the best answers are coming out of the 2AC. Don't waste your time extending the crappy arguments. This is also awesome b/c you don't have to waste time answering what the neg said on every part of the 2AC flow. Grouping and cross aplying also saves you a lot of time.