23 replies to this topic

#21 nathan_debate

nathan_debate

Regular/Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Partially different....in some ways not that much.
  • Credibility
  • Critical Thinking
  • Framing
  • Contrast/Juxtaposition
  • Overall speaking & writing skills (although more academic writing than newspaper or feature writing)
In some way this is best. It means you learn one skill at a time (logic vs. emotionally persuasive/motivational style persuasion. You can learn that in now, in college, or your first 2 years of working.

Check out Learn Policy Debate here: http://learnpolicyde....wordpress.com/

#22 rteehas

rteehas

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Excellent
  • School:Delbarton

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Partially different....in some ways not that much.

• Credibility
  • Critical Thinking
  • Framing
  • Contrast/Juxtaposition
  • Overall speaking & writing skills (although more academic writing than newspaper or feature writing)
In some way this is best. It means you learn one skill at a time (logic vs. emotionally persuasive/motivational style persuasion. You can learn that in now, in college, or your first 2 years of working.

I fully agree that debate is useful to build persuasion skills, and that it helps people think logically. The crucial point, however, is that people are not always persuaded by logic, in fact it sometimes pushes them away and makes them less receptive to the argument. In real life, people are motivated primarily by emotion and perception, not by logic. What I say is that that creates a gulf between debate persuasion and persuasion in real life. Secondly, the debate forum has change to adapt to the styles within it, and so doing has moved away from persuasion. Like I said before, the fact that people speak at 300 wpm while talking about complex political/ethical questions makes it less accessible to the average person. This in turn makes it less persuasive to the average person. Even if it were slower, the content of the arguments are less persuasive i.e. Zupancic saying we must forget about tradgedies.

"Two things fill the mind with ever-increasing wonder and awe, the more often and the more intensely the mind of thought is drawn to them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."   - Immanuel Kant 

#23 Chaos

Chaos

mighty morphin power ranger

• 4,704 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think some type of persuasion still matters, and that the basic persuasive skills used in a debate context can largely be applied to a nondebate context.

I also think that even if the price for more developed decision making skills is less developed persuasive skills, this is still a favorable tradeoff.

#24 Dr. Fox On Socks

Dr. Fox On Socks

In Clocks On Lox

• 8,018 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Coach Ian
  • School:Real World

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

The problem is that people are not logical, they are swayed by emotions

This is probably too absolutist, but on the right track. People are persuaded by pathos, logos, and ethos in combination. The most effective arguments appeal to all three.
The information in this post is confidential. If its contents are disclosed, our lawyers will swoop down from helicopters and smash through the skylight nearest you and drag you away with a black bag over your head to our super secret headquarters where you fight to the death with other people who shared this post.

Also known as: © CC-BY-NC 3.0 + beerware (you may use my work under CC-BY-NC terms provided that you buy me a reasonably-priced beer of my choosing if we ever meet in person).