105 replies to this topic

#101 retired

retired

Fermenting Revolution!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

So Judge Sumi’s opinion is the only lower-court opinion the Supreme Court will have to influence its ruling.

It’s entirely possible that Judge Sumi wrote for the benefit of the Supreme Court to provide some novel interpretations of their past rulings that might guide their decision in this case. Both Judge Sumi’s and my argument rely heavily on interpretations of the state constitution and rulings by the state supreme court, so while she may be wrong today, Judge Sumi’s opinion could carry the day if her interpretation is persuasive enough...

i can forward your analysis to her the next time im at one of those dane county foie grais parties...

The State SC will probably ignore all her arguments. The conservative judges will grandstand. This thing is going to get very politicized.

#102 Dr. Fox On Socks

Dr. Fox On Socks

In Clocks On Lox

• 8,018 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Coach Ian
  • School:Real World

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

i can forward your analysis to her the next time im at one of those dane county foie grais parties...

The State SC will probably ignore all her arguments. The conservative judges will grandstand. This thing is going to get very politicized.

Yeah, probably. Even if the Court agrees with me for different reasons, ultimately it's not the judiciary's job to block stupid bills, only unconstitutional ones.
The information in this post is confidential. If its contents are disclosed, our lawyers will swoop down from helicopters and smash through the skylight nearest you and drag you away with a black bag over your head to our super secret headquarters where you fight to the death with other people who shared this post.

Also known as: © CC-BY-NC 3.0 + beerware (you may use my work under CC-BY-NC terms provided that you buy me a reasonably-priced beer of my choosing if we ever meet in person).

#103 Dr. Fox On Socks

Dr. Fox On Socks

In Clocks On Lox

• 8,018 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Coach Ian
  • School:Real World

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Today, by 4-3 vote, Wisconsin Supreme Court voided all of trial court's orders and cleared way for law to take effect. Only remedy for fixing stupid law lies with the voters.

Article: http://www.jsonline..../123859034.html

Opinion: http://wicourts.gov/...pdf&seqNo=66078 (PDF) (Note, dissent is very angry and might frighten small children)

Edit: After reading parts of the opinion, although I think the majority is right that the bill was validly enacted, the dissent makes some persuasive points that this order is procedurally improper because the Court used its original jurisdiction (instead of its appellate jurisdiction, which is by far the norm for cases it hears) and improperly made findings of fact without basis for doing so.

But, perhaps the majority was simply being ironic by engaging in procedural errors while rejecting the allegation that a law was passed without proper procedure. New rule in Wisconsin: procedure doesn't matter! Yay!
The information in this post is confidential. If its contents are disclosed, our lawyers will swoop down from helicopters and smash through the skylight nearest you and drag you away with a black bag over your head to our super secret headquarters where you fight to the death with other people who shared this post.

Also known as: © CC-BY-NC 3.0 + beerware (you may use my work under CC-BY-NC terms provided that you buy me a reasonably-priced beer of my choosing if we ever meet in person).

#104 retired

retired

Fermenting Revolution!

• 4,527 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:20 AM

shirely abrahamson has a killer dissent..

#105 Ankur

Ankur

Cross-x Grim Reaper

• 14,441 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ankur
  • School:Radical

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

Retired,

I am genuinely shocked you haven't revived this thread given the current events.
But then again, I wouldn't be shocked if you were currently in the midst of achieving inebriation at one of the fine establishments more or less around state street.
"As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." - Justice William O. Douglas

"There is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, than to initiate a new order of things" - Machiavelli

#106 Red Spy

Red Spy

Administrator of Pain

• 1,441 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Dartmouth Admit
  • School:Dartmouth College '15

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Scot Waker es #1
Foucoal is the world's greatest source of biopower

I've said it before and I am willing to bet most good debaters agree with me: the best theory file is the one your right yourself and then commit to memory.

Holy shit, that's not even relatively close to English.