Transgendered Cyborg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,026 posts
Excellent
  • Name:TheScu
  • School:Binghamton University

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

well... we're trying to get Max's entry in.

The new topic should be fun. *reads ender's game

I think for some many gifted, younger kids Ender's Game was this amazing and wonderful book.

When you look at Orson Scott Card's earlier books, and then read his later ones, you can't help but feel sad at how hackish he has become.

When I was 16, and in a Chinese cult, I was sitting on a hill, when Jesus came up behind me, slapped me on the back, and said, "Tag! Now, you're Jesus!"

My blog, critical animal

#24 Dr. Fox On Socks

Dr. Fox On Socks

In Clocks On Lox

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Coach Ian
  • School:Real World

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

Keep this up. I don't have much free time (nor am I that great a story writer), but I'll try to get some entries in now and then. Also, post the stories (or at least the best ones) here, rather than just on a blog.
The information in this post is confidential. If its contents are disclosed, our lawyers will swoop down from helicopters and smash through the skylight nearest you and drag you away with a black bag over your head to our super secret headquarters where you fight to the death with other people who shared this post.

Also known as: © CC-BY-NC 3.0 + beerware (you may use my work under CC-BY-NC terms provided that you buy me a reasonably-priced beer of my choosing if we ever meet in person).

#25 The Gender Bender

The Gender Bender

cranberries

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Betty
  • School:asl

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

Musical Box

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Musical_box

Musical box is a 19th century automatic musical instrument that produces sounds by the use of a set of pins placed on a revolving cylinder or disc so as to pluck the tuned teeth of a steel comb. They were developed from musical snuff boxes of the 18th century and called carillons musique. Some of the more complex boxes also have a tiny drum and small bells, in addition to the metal comb. Note that the tone of a musical box is unlike that of any musical instrument (although it is best described as somewhere between the timbres of an mbira).

End: July 15, 2009

#26 Jiggle Billy

Jiggle Billy

Commence the Jigglin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Max
  • School:Yeah.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

I'm gonna miss the deadline a bit (already did, I know I know), but can I still turn it in later tonight? Alllllmost done.

#27 Guest_svfrey_*

Guest_svfrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

I would like to raise a motion, if possible.

I think we should disband this idea of letting wikipedia dictate what we write about and just make our own submissions to the blog. frankly, these topics suck balls and I haven't been writing because of that; it feels forced, and for me, that produces bad creativity and not good works.

anyone else in favor?

#28 stantheman

stantheman

at your service

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Kiersten Strachan

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

seconded.

i've liked the topics so far, but there's only so much inspiration to be drawn from a user edited information page.
Free, weekly politics updates

http://polcap.tumblr.com

#29 gargamel

gargamel

Eating Me Some Fucking Smurfs

• Members
  • 3,182 posts
Excellent
  • Name:loghry

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

some of these are more suitable than others:
http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/
my name is a killing word

#30 The Gender Bender

The Gender Bender

cranberries

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

I would like to raise a motion, if possible.

I think we should disband this idea of letting wikipedia dictate what we write about and just make our own submissions to the blog. frankly, these topics suck balls and I haven't been writing because of that; it feels forced, and for me, that produces bad creativity and not good works.

anyone else in favor?

seconded.

i've liked the topics so far, but there's only so much inspiration to be drawn from a user edited information page.

some of these are more suitable than others:
http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/

what subjects would you all write about?

the purpose of using a random wikipedia article is not to confine you to the information within. it is more about establishing a subject that you would otherwise not have chosen -- it is (for the most part) random. i would hope as writers you would do research beyond the article and draw inspiration from the learning.

however, if you would prefer a reformatting of the presentation of the weekly subjects so that it is closer to the writing prompts website. we can try that.

this week's topic is:

Disenfranchisment
http://en.wikipedia....isfranchisement
Disfranchisement (also called disenfranchisement) is the revocation of the right of suffrage (the right to vote) to a person or group of people, or rendering a person's vote less effective, or ineffective. Disfranchisement might occur explicitly through law, or implicitly by intimidation. Indirectly, it may occur when certain groups are not properly registered to vote, either on purpose or because of serious technical (computer) problems.

Deadline: July 22, 2009

in "writing prompt" form this topic could be something like:

Create a fictional court case that challenges the disenfranchisement of felons. Conduct an interview with the plaintiff. Use this interview to write a magazine article covering the case.

Edited by The Gender Bender, 17 July 2009 - 08:25 PM.

#31 gargamel

gargamel

• Members
  • 3,182 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

the purpose of using a random wikipedia article is not to confine you to the information within. it is more about establishing a subject that you would otherwise not have chosen -- it is (for the most part) random. i would hope as writers you would do research beyond the article and draw inspiration from the learning.

this is what i figured the purpose was. don't need a literal interpretation

#32 Guest_svfrey_*

Guest_svfrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

what subjects would you all write about?

however, if you would prefer a reformatting of the presentation of the weekly subjects so that it is closer to the writing prompts website. we can try that.

this week's topic is:

Disenfranchisment
http://en.wikipedia....isfranchisement
Disfranchisement (also called disenfranchisement) is the revocation of the right of suffrage (the right to vote) to a person or group of people, or rendering a person's vote less effective, or ineffective. Disfranchisement might occur explicitly through law, or implicitly by intimidation. Indirectly, it may occur when certain groups are not properly registered to vote, either on purpose or because of serious technical (computer) problems.

in "writing prompt" form this topic could be something like:

Create a fictional court case that challenges the disenfranchisement of felons. Conduct an interview with the plaintiff. Use this interview to write a magazine article covering the case.

I, for one, think that the entire question of "what should we write about, then?" is sort of heading in the wrong direction.

It shouldn't matter what we write about; rather, the effectiveness of a good piece of work should be determined by whether emotions and feelings are communicated in a genuine fashion without being confined to an arbitrary (synonym for random) subject. What kind of emotions and feelings is a little box that plays a dinky little lullaby when you open the lid going to invoke in someone?

Maybe this is just from the fact that I'd been away from writing for so long that I don't feel like writing about something different every week, or even the fact that the subject should ostensibly at random be changed. Maybe I'm the only one here who has this specific reason for not doing it, but I can tell you that I haven't abstained entirely.

Stantheman asked me a few months ago if I wrote. I told her, "no, well, at least I used to." so she made me promise I would make one of those "tumblr" thingies, and I did. First I played around with writing in a different language, then I did some critical essays, then I started writing poetry again, just like I had when I stopped the first time. I didn't need a topic, I didn't ever have a topic, and that made me more apt to give it another shot.

for anyone who ever studied Wordsworth's "Preface to Lyrical Ballads," he was dead wrong.

#33 Sea of Crisis

Sea of Crisis

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Good

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

What is "tumblr?"

#34 The Gender Bender

The Gender Bender

cranberries

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

I, for one, think that the entire question of "what should we write about, then?" is sort of heading in the wrong direction.

It shouldn't matter what we write about; rather, the effectiveness of a good piece of work should be determined by whether emotions and feelings are communicated in a genuine fashion without being confined to an arbitrary (synonym for random) subject. What kind of emotions and feelings is a little box that plays a dinky little lullaby when you open the lid going to invoke in someone?

Maybe this is just from the fact that I'd been away from writing for so long that I don't feel like writing about something different every week, or even the fact that the subject should ostensibly at random be changed. Maybe I'm the only one here who has this specific reason for not doing it, but I can tell you that I haven't abstained entirely.

Stantheman asked me a few months ago if I wrote. I told her, "no, well, at least I used to." so she made me promise I would make one of those "tumblr" thingies, and I did. First I played around with writing in a different language, then I did some critical essays, then I started writing poetry again, just like I had when I stopped the first time. I didn't need a topic, I didn't ever have a topic, and that made me more apt to give it another shot.

for anyone who ever studied Wordsworth's "Preface to Lyrical Ballads," he was dead wrong.

there are many different ways to go about writing. this is just one type of exercise that is, as i've mentioned before, geared towards research & exploring new topics. you should not feel forced to write about any of this. if, however, a topic happens to inspire then contribute that week. regardless, i agree that you should be writing what you feel.

#35 gargamel

gargamel

• Members
  • 3,182 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Feelings are for homos.

#36 Guest_svfrey_*

Guest_svfrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

something snarky and derisive

saw that coming

#37 gargamel

gargamel

• Members
  • 3,182 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

saw that coming

"You're in love with a girl? Fag"

I never understood the word "snarky." It sounds like some way a cute woodland creature would act. Like "Aw! Look at that chipmunk, he's so snarky!"

Edit: Here's the machismo reply

saw that coming

You got a fuckin problem, motherfucker? How about I take care of that for you, bitch!? Huh? I got a toolbox right here [imagine, instead of showing you some kind of toolbox i'm holding up my clenched fist]. What? What? That's what I thought.

Edited by Scrooge McDuck, 17 July 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#38 The Gender Bender

The Gender Bender

cranberries

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:44 AM

Fan art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_art
Fan art or fanart is artwork that is based on a character, costume, item, or story that was created by someone other than the artist.

Prompt : Think of a portrait (a painting or photograph) and write a short fictional biography for the subject. Send in a link to the portrait with your entry.

Deadline: July 30, 2009

Posted Image

Edited by The Gender Bender, 25 July 2009 - 07:00 AM.

#39 The Gender Bender

The Gender Bender

cranberries

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Sorry about the absence.

"Homosexual Agenda"
http://en.wikipedia....mosexual_agenda

"Homosexual agenda" (or "gay agenda") is a pejorative term coined by United States social conservatives to refer to advocacy of cultural acceptance and normalization of non-heterosexual orientations and relationships.[1] The term includes efforts to change government policies and laws on LGBT issues (e.g. same-sex marriage, LGBT adoption, recognizing sexual orientation as a civil rights minority group, LGBT military participation, inclusion of LGBT history and themes in public education) as well as non-governmental campaigns and individual actions which increase visibility and cultural acceptance of LGBT people, relationships, and identities.

Prompt: Write a blog as a pundit (satirical or otherwise) discussing gay agenda.

Deadline: September 2, 2009

#40 The Gender Bender

The Gender Bender

cranberries

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:50 AM

"Gallery grave"

http://en.wikipedia....i/Gallery_grave
A Gallery grave is a form of Megalithic tomb where there is no size difference between the burial chamber itself and the entrance passage. Two parallel walls of stone slabs were erected to form a corridor and covered with a line of capstones. The rectangular tomb was covered with a barrow or a cairn. Most were built during the fourth millennium BC, though some were still being built in the Bronze Age.
They are distributed across Europe and they are usually subdivided by period, region and also into more generic types of chambered long barrows, chambered round barrows, chambered long cairns and chambered round cairns. Examples are known in Catalonia, France, the Low Countries, Germany, The British Isles, Scandinavia, Sardinia and southern Italy.

Prompt: Imagine the life of a person buried in a gallery grave. Write a eulogy.