Neurotic_Mastermind

Crusader For Truth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Kyle Deming
  • School:University of Michigan '13

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

I am resolute that this is the greatest PC game ever made (possibly tied with Evil Genius, but I think it's in the clear at the moment). Immersive storytelling, complex character interactions, fun mechanics, epic scale - the whole damn thing is (or rather, was) years ahead of its time. Crazy enough that this 2-D game kicks the ass of most 3-D games; the fact that they seamlessly integrated second-edition 1980s Dungeons and Dragons into a realtime third-person RPG is astounding.

I just finished and I'm working my way through the expansion/finale. Anybody else here played? Favorite party combination? Favorite class/equipment?
--kd

#2 MrWilsonCad

MrWilsonCad

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Good

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

I just finished and I'm working my way through the expansion/finale. Anybody else here played? Favorite party combination? Favorite class/equipment?

One of the best ever. Are you talking with the computer characters in the party or your own created party?

#3 Neurotic_Mastermind

Neurotic_Mastermind

Crusader For Truth

• 3,146 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Kyle Deming
  • School:University of Michigan '13

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

One of the best ever. Are you talking with the computer characters in the party or your own created party?

I never liked playing with your own party (which, I guess, explains why I found Icewind Dale kind of iffy). If you throw out the computer NPCs, you avoid all the fun of the banter and subplots between characters (not to mention the sidequests).

Anybody can make a hack-and-slash dungeon crawl if you give them dice, graph paper, and a weekend alone; Baldur's Gate is good as a series because it adds some kind of meaning and flavor to the whole process that's missing from most of its contemporaries in the fantasy RPG genre, as well as some high-quality writing. Why would you want to miss out on it?
--kd

#4 Wonder

Wonder

Nothing Sacred/Shocking

• 2,200 posts
Excellent
  • Name:C
  • School:Mercer Uni

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

I love this game and still play it.